Friday, April 10, 2009

Galatians 1.11-17

11 I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that the gospel I preached is not of human origin. 12 I did not receive it from any human source, nor was I taught it; rather, I received it by revelation from Jesus Christ.

13 For you have heard of my previous way of life in Judaism, how intensely I persecuted the church of God and tried to destroy it. 14 I was advancing in Judaism beyond many of my own age among my people and was extremely zealous for the traditions of my fathers. 15 But when God, who set me apart from birth and called me by his grace, was pleased 16 to reveal his Son in me so that I might preach him among the Gentiles, my immediate response was not to consult any human being. 17 I did not go up to Jerusalem to see those who were apostles before I was, but I went into Arabia. Later I returned to Damascus.



Paul is concerned here with the authenticity of his ministry. He wants the Galatians to realize that what he does is not motivated by any earthly thing, but motivated by a special calling from Jesus Christ.

I wonder if my ministry is authentic in that sense? Is it a thing that comes about because I have willed it to, or is it only attributable to God and his plan and grace? I wonder if I take too much credit for what God has done and is doing...

Paul is also concerned with drawing a sharp distinction between his former life as an enemy of the church (and of God, by extension) and his present life of humble service. Even though Paul expended a lot of effort persecuting the church, he STILL views his whole life in view of God's purpose...despite the roadblocks, GOD STILL SET HIM APART AT BIRTH!

Oh, the mystery and wonder and unsearchableness of the Lord God Almighty!
Who has known his mind that he might counsel him?

No comments:

Post a Comment