Friday, March 27, 2009

II Corinthians 12:14-18

14Now I am ready to visit you for the third time, and I will not be a burden to you, because what I want is not your possessions but you. After all, children should not have to save up for their parents, but parents for their children. 15So I will very gladly spend for you everything I have and expend myself as well. If I love you more, will you love me less? 16Be that as it may, I have not been a burden to you. Yet, crafty fellow that I am, I caught you by trickery! 17Did I exploit you through any of the men I sent you? 18I urged Titus to go to you and I sent our brother with him. Titus did not exploit you, did he? Did we not act in the same spirit and follow the same course?

One thing about my parents is that they weren’t the type to always tell me what I wanted to hear. I can think of so many times growing up that I would listen to just about everybody but my parents. Seeking that type of independence is part of growing up, but the hardest lesson is the realization is that we should listen to our parents because they are the ones who are no matter what looking out for our best interests over their own.

Paul is dealing with the same thing with the Corinthians. Other pastors have come in and undermined what he has taught. Part of their tactic is to point out how impressive they are and how unimpressive Paul is. Paul points out that all he has ever done is love them and acted in their interests rather than talk about how great he is.

Who are you listening to? Who should you be listening to?

No comments:

Post a Comment