Monday, March 23, 2009

II Corinthians 11:21-29

What anyone else dares to boast about—I am speaking as a fool—I also dare to boast about. 22Are they Hebrews? So am I. Are they Israelites? So am I. Are they Abraham's descendants? So am I. 23Are they servants of Christ? (I am out of my mind to talk like this.) I am more. I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. 24Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. 25Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, 26I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false brothers. 27I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. 28Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. 29Who is weak, and I do not feel weak? Who is led into sin, and I do not inwardly burn?

Everyone loves to be praised. Some crave this praise more than others. Many strive to be stronger, faster, prettier, smarter, and better than everyone else so that they can have more praise. When others do not give forth praise, it is human nature to boast and praise ourselves. Such boasting leads to pride, and pride goes before a fall. Therefore, God instructs us not to boast about ourselves or our possessions or our plans. Ultimately, we cannot control any of that. Therefore, we are instructed to boast in the Lord.
So WHY is Paul boasting here? Even he admits that it is foolish to do so. However, note the topic of his boasting. At first glance, this is not something to be proud of. Paul’s life was full of trials and pain. Still, this serves the purpose of showing his merit, his perseverance. Paul suffered freely and frequently for the sake of the gospel and when he boasts, he boasts not of how many churches he has planted, or how much he gave to the poor, or how many people he led to Christ. No. Instead he boasts about his weaknesses. God strength shines best through our weaknesses, not our strengths. This is a message every Christian martyr can testify to.
What do you boast about? Strengths or weaknesses? Does the light of God’s strength shine through you? Be aware. If you boast, do it for the right reasons and give the glory to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment