Monday, February 16, 2009

2 Corinthians 6.1–2

1 As God's co-workers we urge you not to receive God's grace in vain. 2 For he says,
"In the time of my favor I heard you,
and in the day of salvation I helped you."
I tell you, now is the time of God's favor, now is the day of salvation.

In chapter 5, Paul wrote that God has made us His friends. What a wacky and unbelievable revelation! Imagine the Holy, Holy, Holy God of the Jews, desiring friendship with all the people of the world, with me and you? Wow. There is no comparison between us and God’s majesty. As the song says, “Amazing love, how can it be that you my King should die for me?” It is in light of this overwhelming compassion that Paul urges the Corinthians to not receive God’s grace in vain. “Listen! I saved you!” God might say, “I gladly give you my greatest treasures, even my Son! Take, and live a NEW life.” As a lifetime church attendee, I understand that oftentimes grace seems like a worn-out cliché, but it is when we come to the cross, when we contemplate the glory of God that we remember once again how great is His love!

No comments:

Post a Comment