Monday, February 9, 2009

2 Corinthians 4.16–18

16Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

How do we fix our eyes on what is unseen?
Over the Christmas holiday, I’ve found a new toy to use to entertain my puppy – a laser-pointer. Now, he’s a smart puppy, catching on quick that the dot on the floor and the object in my hand are somehow related. As soon as I grab the laser-pointer, he knows its time to play; he even anticipates the dot before I’ve hit the button!
My dog’s particular breed has a nickname, the Velcro dog – known as such for the attachments they make with their owners. Training is quite easy for this breed, and they have a reputation of being some of best hunting dogs. This Velcro effect can be attributed to one characteristic…trust. They trust their owners, and I believe – and have seen – that they also trust their own instincts. This, if it can be put into one word, is what it means to fix our eyes on what is unseen. Trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment