Tuesday, January 20, 2009

2 Corinthians 1.1-2

—2 Corinthians 1.1-2
1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, To the church of God in Corinth, together with all his holy people throughout Achaia:

2 Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ

It is always necessary for me to address myself by name when I communicate in some way, shape, or form. It is the small link to my identity. People call me by name and I am drawn to wherever it is called. However, there is an important lesson for all Christians when examining the method Paul uses to identify himself. Paul always opens by name and then a description of his relationship to Jesus Christ. He writes, “Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus…” In effect, Paul is not solely linked to his name and, therefore, himself. His self is only with regards to the service of Jesus Christ. It is more like saying, “I am Paul, but that means nothing. The only reason I have a legitimate identity is because I know the Christ.” Let us reflect now upon how we choose to identify ourselves. Is it on our own two feet or standing on the rock of Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment